CATCH A LIFT was started as a memorial to Cpl. Chris Coffland and founded on his lifelong philosophy that through physical fitness you can achieve your highest potential for a healthy mind and body.
His dedication and mindfulness to physical fitness was part of a daily regimen his entire life. He actively encouraged others to participate as well, so that they could lead a healthier and well balanced life.
Everyday Coffland would say "I'm goin' catch a lift"; his way of saying, he was off to the gym. In keeping with Coffland's commitment to fitness and his dedication to the wellness of others, CAL will assist wounded veterans to become physically and mentally fit again through gifted gym memberships.
To help wounded post 9-11 service members start and maintain their healing process, both mentally and physically, through physical fitness by providing them with gifted gym memberships or home gym equipment, anywhere in the United States.
- Research has shown that early intervention through physical fitness results in successful rehabilitation for wounded veterans.
- Returning veterans Post 9-11: 53,000+ wounded, 320,000 with TBI and over 400,000 with PTSD
- Suicide rate amongst returning veterans: 22 per day; that is 1 veteran every 65 minutes.(DVA 2/2014). Over 30% of returning veterans have considered suicide.
- 120-150 minutes of exercise weekly greatly improves overall health, helps to control weight, reduces the risk of heart disease, strengthens bones and muscles and improves mental health.
WHAT DOES CATCH A LIFT DO?
For wounded veterans post 9-11, CATCH A LIFT will pay for yearly gym memberships. If the wounded veteran's requires assistance from their VA Caregiver, their membership will be granted as well. CATCH A LIFT also provides in-home gym equipment, if the vet is unable to attend a gym. See VET APPLICATION for more information.
HOW CAN I HELP?
Make a donation. Donations are our largest source of funding. You can donate easily on our secured DONATIONS page at any time. For your convenience, donations can be made through our secured payment link, using a credit or debit card. Checks can be mailed as well. Catch A Lift is a non-profit 501 (C)(3) organization, TAX ID#27-3901149.
Become a volunteer. You can volunteer by helping spread local community awareness, sponsoring a fundraising event or participating in a fundraising event. Click on our VOLUNTEER page and become involved today.
Become a Corporate Sponsor. Sponsorship opportunities are available by visiting Contact Us .
CATCH A LIFT is a 501 ( c) (3) non-profit organization, TAX ID#27-3901149. After your donation is submitted, a confirmation will be sent and act as your receipt. Please print confirmation and retain for your tax records.
How to Apply
WHO CAN APPLY?
Wounded combat veterans including those suffering from combat related PTSD that have been rated at least 30% or more by the VA. All service branches may apply.
In order for an application to be complete, CAL needs:
1. A completed application
2. A copy of your DD214 to show your post 9/11 service in Iraq and/or Afghanistan
3. A copy of your VA documentation which lists your injuries, your rating for each injury and your overall combined rating. A benefits or claims letter will not be accepted.
4. If you are requesting a caregiver membership we must have documentation that your buddy is a VA certified caregiver along with a brief letter of why it is neccessary for you to have a caregive with you at the gym.
ALL DOCUMENTATION MUST BE RECEIVED AT THE SAME TIME FOR THE APPLICATION TO BE ACCEPTED. YOUR APPLICATION WILL NOT BE REVIEWED UNLESS ALL DOCUMENTS ARE SENT TOGETHER
Decisions regarding gifted memberships are made following the CATCH A LIFT board's careful consideration of the request and the level of funds available at the time of application.
HOW DO I APPLY?
ALL DOCUMENTATION MUST BE RECEIVED AT THE SAME TIME FOR THE APPLICATION TO BE ACCEPTED OR PROCESSED.
WHAT GYM CAN I USE?
Any gym in the United States may be chosen by the veteran. It is the veteran's responsibility to provide the gym information and contact person on the application form. CATCH A LIFT will grant the yearly membership for the wounded veteran and if needed, the VA CAREGIVER, in compliance with the gyms and CATCH A LIFT's criteria. See GYMS ACROSS AMERICA.